Shree Yoga Teacher Training
Find Your Voice. Transform Lives.
An Anusara® Yoga Training, Yoga Alliance RYS-200
With Certified Anusara® Yoga teacher E-RYT 500 Rachel Dewan and supported by Certified Anusara® Yoga teacher E-RYT 500 Chaya Spencer
You will be guided with patience and compassion to find your unique voice and a personalized way to bring forth your gifts through learning to teach yoga. This is a rigorous 200+ hour Anusara® yoga teacher training program led by the most senior and skillful Certified Anusara Yoga teachers in New Jersey. This program is for those wanting to learn how to teach, or for teachers wanting to learn how to teach using Anusara methodology and techniques.
I was a little hesitant to sign up as I felt my practice was not at the level that it “should be” to become a yoga teacher but my love of the practice outweighed my hesitancy. I have come to realize that there is no “should be.” We were a large and varied group of students and each one of us came to the training with different abilities and different backgrounds. We were all honored for where we were and encouraged and fully supported throughout.Alison Simpson
2018 – 19 Weekends
Our 2018-19 dates and times are listed below. If you are interested in taking our training, please contact Chaya@shreeyoga.com for more information or attend one of our free info sessions with Rachel listed above.
- Fridays 6:30 – 9:30 pm
- Saturdays 1:00 – 8: 00 pm
- Sundays 1:00 – 8:00 pm
- October 12 – 14, 2018
- November 9 -11
- December 7 – 9
- January 11 – 13, 2019
- February 8 – 10
- March 8 – 10
- April 5 – 7
- May 3 – 5
- June 7 – 9
This extensive training covers
- Teaching techniques and methodologies
- Art of giving clear concise instruction
- Weaving themes and philosophy into a class
- Hands-on adjustments
- Universal Principles of Alignment™
- Observation and assisting
- Yoga philosophy including Yoga Sutra and Bhagavad Gita
- In-depth study of Universal Principles of Alignment
- Teaching meditation
- Ethics of a teacher
- Sanskrit terms, mantras and pronunciation
- Anatomy and therapeutics
- Sequencing, pacing and curriculum
- Restorative yoga
- Chair yoga
- How to modify poses for special needs
- Introduction to pre-natal yoga
- The business of teaching yoga
- At least 1 year of dedicated yoga practice.
- Demonstration of a sincere desire to learn, grow, receive feedback and be coached.
At Home Study
The course also includes 100+ hours of robust self-study: structured observation, written homework, required reading, assisting, being mentored, personal home practice and teaching practice.
- Observation: observe at least 3 Shree classes with three different teachers and fill out the observation sheet for each.
- Assisting: Assist three classes at Shree over the course of your training.
- Attend five Small Group Mentoring Sessions: these sessions with a trained teacher from Shree and a small group of other Teacher Trainees will give you the chance to refine your skills and practice teaching with constructive and supportive feedback. 10 hours total.
- Home Practice 2-3 times a week minimum of 20 minutes each
- Practice teaching 3 classes a month to friends or family
- Attend 1- 2 classes at Shree a week
For Shree Yoga’s Certification through the National Yoga Alliance:
- Complete the entire Teacher training course with 100% attendance. This includes attendance at all parts of all classes. Any missed classes will jeopardize your certification. In extenuating circumstances missed training can be made up by private instruction with the teacher at a rate of $100 per hour.
- Complete all required reading and writing assignments on time
- Attend all mentoring sessions
- Complete the final open book exam and teaching exam
- Go to at least one supplementary Shree Yoga class each week and keep a logbook regarding classes taken. Take all different level classes.
- Demonstrate integration of all materials taught:
- Teach with confidence and clarity
- Introduce a theme and weave it through the class
- Instruct the basics of each posture using plain, clear inspiring language and breathing queues
- Teach all 5 Universal Principles of Alignment in order consistently
- Teach using focal points, loops and spirals
- Pay all fees and outstanding balances.
- Complete At-Home Study Requirements (see below)
- It will also be expected that participants purchase several texts. Reading lists will be sent out upon registration.
- Complete a CPR course (one will be available during the training at Shree)
Registration with the National Yoga Alliance
- Once you complete all of your work and demonstrate that you have integrated the Anusara teachings you will be certified as a Hatha Yoga Teacher and will receive your Shree Yoga Teacher Certificate. You may then submit your certificate to and register with the National Yoga Alliance at the 200-hour level. For an application, call: 877-964-2255 or go online to register at: www.yogaalliance.org. You will also be eligible for the Anusara Elements status.
About Chaya Spencer and Rachel Dewan
Chaya Spencer, Certified Anusara Teacher, E-RYT 500 and Founder of Shree Yoga Studios has been a student of yoga and meditation since 1969 when she was introduced by her Mother to her first Indian Guru and began to meditate at the age of 6. Born and raised in New York City, Chaya traveled to India when she was 14 to study yoga and meditation. From 1978-1992 Chaya lived in a spiritual community, or Ashram, and traveled repeatedly between India and the US studying and teaching meditation, yoga, Sanskrit, Indian philosophy, music and cooking. She received her first yoga teacher certification in India in 1990. Chaya received her Anusara Certification in 2002. Read more about Chaya here.
Rachel Dewan is a Certified Anusara Yoga Teacher and E-RYT500, but more importantly, she is a seeker. For as long as she can remember, she has read, studied, journaled, listened, practiced, and prayed. Naturally in her adult life this led her to yoga where, from her first class in college in 1995, she experienced a feeling of connection, support and ease. Yoga became a path of learning and lifelong practice that has helped to shape her life in all aspects, reminding her that when we open to the power of grace in every moment, we can choose the life we desire to live. Read more about Rachel here
Tuition, Discounts and Payment Options
Early bird discount $100 off now through September 22! Take an additional $50 off if you pay in full with cash or check. Full tuition is $3800 or $3400 early bird discount by August 1 (save $400) plus cost of required books. A list will be sent at the time of registration. You can reserve your spot with an $800 deposit submitted with your application form. Payment plans are available, please see below.
Payment in FullAfter September 22
There is an $800 deposit to hold your place. Then, 6 payments of $510 each due on the Friday night of the training as follows: $510 October 12, $510 November 9, $510 December 7, $510 January 11, $510 February, and $510 March 8. Payment for this option can be made with cash or check only at the studio or mailed to our office: Shree Yoga, 12 Barnfield Court, Upper Saddle River, NJ 07458. You are liable for all the payments even if you withdraw.
Up to October 12, 2018 the $800 deposit and any other fees paid are refundable minus $250 administration fee. No refunds will be issued after October 12. Your deposit will be returned in full if you are not accepted into the program. If you are on a payment plan, you are liable for the full amount of the plan even if you withdraw.
One of the unique things about this course, was the opportunity we had to meet with mentors in smaller groups. In our mentoring sessions, we worked with highly qualified teachers in an intimate setting. The allowed us to really grasp important concepts, and have a chance to work through any concerns or learning blocks that came up. In addition to the mentoring sessions, we also had the opportunity to hear from guest speakers who were able to inform us of their particular specialty. This is a program suitable for all yogi’s, whether aspiring to be teachers or not. Going through this program will enrich your life in ways you would never have imagined!Nancy Gross
As a 200 hour RYT hatha trained yoga teacher, I was eager to hone my craft and Anusara yoga, with its clear and systematic principles of alignment and its heart oriented theming, was the way. Chaya has created an organized and comprehensive program through which she freely and humbly shares her wealth of experience and depth of knowledge. She was unfailingly clear and direct, while at the same time being encouraging and compassionate. Chaya’s big smile and the twinkle in her eyes display her love of yoga, her love of teaching and her love of her students. I am so grateful and honored to have been a part of the Shree Teacher Training Class of 2014!Nancy Seeback
Choosing the Shree Yoga Teacher Training program was the smartest move I have made in a while. Chaya has just given me all the tools I need to become a very good yoga teacher in the Anusara style of yoga. She has immeasurable amounts of knowledge, patience and grace and knows and understands how to teach people so that they really understand the material. Chaya has built a solid and abundant curriculum that is followed throughout. She has transferred and shared her knowledge with us very clearly and precisely. The Shree team of Anusara yoga teachers like Rachel and Elizabeth are unbelievably amazing mentors to our smaller groups. If you want a vigorous and prestigious certificate with the best teachers around, you have come to the right place!Leeron Benesch
Being in the Teacher Training at Shree has truly changed my life and brought about an awakening of grace and faith within myself. The heart inspired teachings of both Chaya and her assistant, were wonderfully meaningful and full of inspiration. This training was not only extremely organized and rigorous but empowering as well. I have received an abundance of knowledge that will help me be an inspired teacher; therefore able to help others follow their heart and their dreams.Anne Dixon