Shree Yoga Teacher Training Fall 2017 – Spring 2018
Find Your Voice. Transform Lives.
Approved by Yoga Alliance RYS-200
With E-RYT 500 Chaya Spencer, and E-RYT 500 Rachel Dewan
2017 – 18 Weekends
September 2017 – May 2018 one weekend a month.
Fridays 6:30 – 9:30 pm
Saturdays 1:00 – 8: 00 pm
Sundays 1:00 – 8:00 pm
September 15, 16 & 17
October 13, 14 & 15
November 17, 18 & 19
December 8, 9 & 10
January 12, 13 & 14
February 9, 10 & 11
March 9, 10 & 11
April 13, 14 & 15
May 4, 5 & 6
This extensive training covers
- Teaching techniques and methodologies
- Art of giving clear concise instruction
- Weaving themes and philosophy into a class
- Hands-on adjustments
- Observation and assisting
- Yoga philosophy including Yoga Sutra and Bhagavad Gita
- In-depth study of Universal Principles of Alignment
- Teaching meditation
- Ethics of a teacher
- Sanskrit terms, mantras and pronunciation
- Anatomy and therapeutics with special guest teacher
- Sequencing, pacing and curriculum
- Restorative yoga with special guest teacher
- Introduction to pre-natal yoga with special guest teacher
- The business of teaching yoga
- At least 1 year of dedicated yoga practice.
- Demonstration of a sincere desire to learn, grow, receive feedback and be coached.
At Home Study
- Observation: observe at least 3 Shree classes with three different teachers and fill out the observation sheet for each.
- Assisting: Assist three classes at Shree over the course of your training.
- Attend five Small Group Mentoring Sessions: these sessions with a trained teacher from Shree and a small group of other Teacher Trainees will give you the chance to refine your skills and practice teaching with constructive and supportive feedback. 10 hours total.
- Home Practice 2-3 times a week minimum of 20 minutes each
- Practice teaching 3 classes a month to friends or family
- Attend 1- 2 classes at Shree a week
- Complete the entire Teacher training course with 100% attendance. This includes attendance at all parts of all classes. Any missed classes will jeopardize your certification. In extenuating circumstances missed training can be made up by private instruction with the teacher at a rate of $100 per hour.
- Complete all required reading and writing assignments on time
- Attend all mentoring sessions
- Complete the final open book exam and teaching exam
- Go to at least one supplementary Shree Yoga class each week and keep a logbook regarding classes taken. Take all different level classes.
- Demonstrate integration of all materials taught:
- Teach with confidence and clarity
- Introduce a theme and weave it through the class
- Instruct the basics of each posture using plain, clear inspiring language and breathing queues
- Teach all 5 Universal Principles of Alignment in order consistently
- Teach using focal points, loops and spirals
- Pay all fees and outstanding balances.
- Complete At-Home Study Requirements (see below)
- It will also be expected that participants purchase several texts. Reading lists will be sent out upon registration.
- Complete a CPR course (one will be available during the training at Shree)
Registration with the National Yoga Alliance
- Once you complete all of your work and demonstrate that you have integrated the Anusara teachings you will be certified as a Hatha Yoga Teacher and will receive your Shree Yoga Teacher Certificate. You may then submit your certificate to and register with the National Yoga Alliance at the 200-hour level. For an application, call: 877-964-2255 or go online to register at: www.yogaalliance.org. You will also be eligible for the Anusara Elements status.
About Chaya Spencer and Rachel Dewan
Chaya Spencer, Certified Anusara Teacher, E-RYT 500 and Founder of Shree Yoga Studios has been a student of yoga and meditation since 1969 when she was introduced by her Mother to her first Indian Guru and began to meditate at the age of 6. Born and raised in New York City, Chaya traveled to India when she was 14 to study yoga and meditation. From 1978-1992 Chaya lived in a spiritual community, or Ashram, and traveled repeatedly between India and the US studying and teaching meditation, yoga, Sanskrit, Indian philosophy, music and cooking. She received her first yoga teacher certification in India in 1990. Chaya received her Anusara Certification in 2002. Read more about Chaya here.
Rachel sought out yoga 10 years ago to help cope with the physical aches & pains that are the gifts of a performing musician, and soon found not an exercise system, but a way of life. Yoga has become a path of learning that has helped her to shape her life in all aspects, reminding her that when she opens to the power of grace in every moment, she can choose the life she desires to live. Rachel has been actively teaching yoga since 2004, practicing and studying extensively since 2002. Reach more about Rachel here
Tuition, Discounts and Payment Options
Full tuition is $3800 or $3500 early bird discount by July 4 (save $300) plus cost of required books. A list will be sent at the time of registration. You can reserve your spot with an $800 deposit submitted with your application form. Payment plans are available, please see below.
Early Bird$300 off before July 4th
Payment in FullAfter July 4th
There is an $800 deposit to hold your place. Then, 6 payments of $500 each due on the Friday night of the training as follows: $500 September 15, $500 October 13, $500 November 10, $500 December 8, $500 January 12, and $500 February 9. Payment for this option can be made with cash or check only at the studio or mailed to our office: Shree Yoga, 12 Barnfield Court, Upper Saddle River, NJ 07458. You are liable for all the payments even if you withdraw.
Up to September 15, 2017 the $800 deposit and any other fees paid are refundable minus $200 administration fee. No refunds will be issued after September 15. Your deposit will be returned in full if you are not accepted into the program. If you are on a payment plan, you are liable for the full amount of the plan even if you withdraw.